The philosophy of mathematics is undergoing a profound renewal of its interests and methods. It is reflected in a diversity of approaches – including but not only: epistemology, conceptual history, logic and metamathematics, ontology, phenomenology, philosophy of mathematical practice, sociology, structuralism… -, with greater openness and dialogue between traditions, and an increasing internationalization of the discipline.
However, this general movement remains limited by the relative weakness of the dialogue between contemporary mathematics and philosophy, that is, between mathematicians and philosophers.
The M×Φ journal proposes to:
- Disseminate innovative work in both philosophy and mathematics, especially recent or contemporary.
- Encourage joint ventures between philosophers and mathematicians, particularly in the context of thematic issues.
- Encourage a diversity of approaches.
- Encourage studies on the interactions and applications of mathematics, such as those with biology, chemistry, computer science and artificial intelligence, physics, cognitive sciences, humanities, educational sciences and didactics, etc. These subjects will be the subject of thematic issues.
- Edit and publish unpublished or not easily accessible texts, their translation, or to publish testimonies of particularly significant mathematicians, even if they do not present a philosophical analysis in the strict sense.